Friday 6 May 2016

Quidditch robe III

The style of Quidditch robe which I am planning on making is the one featured in the Philosopher's Stone and the Chamber of Secrets, which only featured Gryffindor vs Slytherin Quidditch matches, so I don't have any direct references for what a Ravenclaw robe might look like in terms of colours or the house crest.

I know I mentioned in the Quidditch Robe I post that I already bought one from eBay, I suddenly remembered that I hadn't really looked at how the house crest badges were from the first two Harry Potter films. All I remember was that the house crest was on the left breast section of the robe!

Back to those films then! In this screen grab from Philosopher's Stone, it shows the Gryffindor team about to take to the field in their match against Slytherin.


It helpfully shows the house badge quite nicely (and also in terms of shape to the eBay badge - phew), as well as yellow colouring of the edging of the house badge. I had a look at the Slytherin robe as well, and saw that their house badge has a silver edging.


Looking at how the colours of the edging of the house crest badges on the Gryffindor and Slytherin robes, I'd say the edging in the case of Ravenclaw would either bronze if you wanted book colours, or silver for film colours (just make sure that your edging matches the lining of the robe). If you wanted a Hufflepuff robe (yellow with black lining), you'd probably have a black background badge with black lining.

The online shop for the Leavesden Warner Bros Studio Tour sells a licensed embroided Ravenclaw badge but it's not really the right shape, and the edging is bright yellow, which really doesn't look too great for Quidditch robes in my opinion.

Another trawl through the internet, and invariably eBay, shows quite a few listings of the same/similar style as I already ordered from eBay. There just doesn't seem to be any house credt badges around with the edging like on the film robes sadly. The one from eBay seem the best bet as at least it is of a decent size (could be bigger, but hey......) and a similar shape to the film ones. Beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

I did a test shot with the eBay badge and fabric and it actually looked quite good. At the moment I'm toying with the idea of trying to see if I can get the silver lining on to the badge, or continue my internet trawls. But seeing how well the badge I have looks against the fabric, I don't think I'll be fussed if I can't find a badge with a silver lining, or hack the eBay one to give it a silver lining.




No comments:

Post a Comment