Monday 2 May 2016

Quidditch robe II

It's the 18th anniversary of the Battle of Hogwarts today, and we remember the fallen. I also thought it'd be apt to do some HP related things, so here I am doing more planning for my Quidditch robe.

I figured would need some good references in order to plan this properly. And so I started watching the Quidditch matches in Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets (yes, I'm going for the nicer old style years 1 and 2 Quidditch robes).

From the Philosopher's Stone, we have this scene where Harry shows off the snitch after he's caught it:


We can see the arm is sewn on separately (see the seam on the shoulder), plus the hood lining has a seam running in the middle inside of the hood. There seems to be a back seam along the centre back, with a pleat towards the bottom half of the robe too. You can also just about make out seams on top of the shoulders and also the side too.

The pattern needed for the back pleat looks clearer in this screen grab from Philosopher's Stone.


From the Chamber of Secrets, I got the following reference screen grabs:


These two show quite nicely the seam on the outside centre of the hood too, as well as more of the back pleat, although the pattern is very clearly shown in the screen grab from Philsopher's Stone.

The overall shape of the robe looks pretty similar to the school uniform robes from Prisoner of Azkaban onwards. I actually have one of the official studio replicas of the uniform robe, and noticed that the real difference between the years 1 and 2 Quidditch robes and the school uniform robes are that the hood and sleeves of the Quidditch robes are shorter, and there's the added back pleating for the Quidditch robes, so what I'm going to probably do is to trace out the pattern of the replica uniform robe, and make slight adjustments in the pattern to allow for the shorter sleeves and hood, and the pleating at the back.

I'll sketch out a rough pattern in my sketch book to see what it might be like before moving on to tracing the actual robe.

No comments:

Post a Comment